Friday, February 5, 2010

Doing such good work....

I think this is his District in the MTC.


Cam and his MTC Companions.


Hey! How is everyone doing? Well I am still here in Grand Junction and will be here with Elder Englund for another 6 weeks. Which is good because there is a lot of good things going on.
So exciting/scary missionary story time. Elder Englund and I were riding our bikes down 32 road and out of NOWHERE this dog showed up and he wasn't happy. He was barking and snarling. So I sped up a little. But he came to my right side and bit at my leg. I felt he teeth graze my leg but all he got was a mouthful of my pants. This made me stumble. And when I caught myself the dog was now on my left trying to bite me again but I kicked him (not softly) right in the face. He backed off but was still snarling. I was pretty angry and at first wanted to call the cops but we were already running a little late for our next appointment so I let it be. ........... I probably shouldn't have told you that. But don't worry I'm fine. Really.

A typical missionary picture.
LOVE IT!

Oh! we have a man in our ward here his name is..... I don't remember his first name. Bro. Melchor. He is from San Salvador, he's very short and very funny. He had a very thick Spanish accent. He has taken us out to eat lunch twice now. Which is very nice of him. Anyways... this past week he took us to a place called Zen Grill and Sushi Bar. I've always wanted to try sushi, so I was game. Bro. Melchor shared what is called a caterpillar roll. Elder Englund got some roast duck. What a caterpillar roll is, is rice (meh) cucumber, avocado, EEL, EEL sauce and sesame seeds. I tried it. It wasn't good at all but I got it down. And since I was willing to try it and didn't like it Elder Englund gave me some of his roast duck which was good. They convinced me to try .... raw tuna. I took a tiny piece and couldn't hold it down... I had to run to the bathroom to spit it out. I was gagging. And I was sick the rest of the day.but now I can say I tried it. Br. Melchor said he was proud of me, for trying it.

Cameron on top of Mount Garfield.


So Saturday was out baptism. I was so excited. I am so excited! I wanted to tell you the whole story, its kind of long but I love it. Full of divine inspiration. Here it is:
Elder Englund and I wanted to get a list from the bishopric of all the 'unbaptized children' of the less actives in the ward. So when we finally got it we looked at it and prayed about who we should see. We both agreed on 3 names for now. The first two names on the list we visited, ended up wanting their names removed from the church and didn't want to be contacted anymore. I thought to myself that we were doing the opposite of what we should have been. We are supposed to find people to bring INTO the Church not find those wanting to leave the Church. But we looked at the last name we had previously decided on. Gabriel Brooks, age 9. We thought 'Great its gonna be someone else who wants their name removed. But we knew we needed to try none the less. So we found the house, knocked on the door.......... and waited........... (oh the suspense......kidding) A gangly guy answered. He looked to be about in his mid to late 20's. We asked if it was the Brook's home, he said that, that was his sisters kids last name. He then went to get his sister. Jennifer Maxfied, came to the door and told us we could come in. Once inside we briefly talked and got to know her and her brother. Then she told us she had been thinking about coming back to church but wasn't sure. Then we showed up. So she said shew anted us to teach her son and help him prepare for baptism. AWESOME, we were so excited.
Our first appointment/lesson with Gabby (Gabriel). this kid is so smart and so eager to learn more. We learned that the last missionaries to come to her house was two years ago. They were the ones who baptized her older kids, Realean (13) and Paul (11). We also found out that Jennifer (the mother) is very particular on who she lets into her home. If she doesn't feel right about some one she wont let them inside. One of the missionaries who baptized her other kids tried coming before with his previous companion and she just talked to them on the front step. But when the new companion came, the way the two felt together was 'just right' And they were finally allowed in and taught and baptized Realean and Paul. So Elder Englund and I knew then that the Lord prepared us to come together and then decide to see this family. Its amazing, I am seeing the Lord's hand in everything more and more. It has blessed me so much. Anyways, so we taught Gabby the lessons.And whats funny was after our first lesson we asked him when we could come back and when he wanted to be baptized. He had the same answer to both questions 'as soon as possible' Amazing kid!! So we met him on one Saturday and two Saturdays later he was baptized.
He wanted that former missionary who baptized his siblings to also baptize him. So they gave him a call and he came from BYU for the baptism. But Gabby asked me to perform the confirmation. I was shocked, honored, excited and nervous. But it went alright it went well and so did the baptism. He even wanted me to speak. So I gave a short talk on Enduring to the End. It was a good baptismal service.

Gabby, his family and the wonderful Elders who taught him.


Well.. thats all thats new here. I'll write again soon.
love you!
Your son and brother,
Elder Cameron Landon.

CANT WAIT!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment