Monday, November 22, 2010

A new area......

Dear Family,

Well,... I am in Highlands Ranch. Our Zone is the Temple Hill Zone because the Temple is here! I am so excited to go back to the Temple. Its been a long time... I don't remember a whole lot. I cannot wait.
But in our Zone we have three districts. And we cover two stakes with our Zone. The Highlands Ranch Stake and the Littleton Stake. My companion is Elder Ah-Kiong. He's is part Samoan and part Chinese. So I get to serve with another polynesian, which I have no problem with because they are very happy-go-lucky people... and he can EAT! I eat nothing compared to him ..or to Elder Vave. Elder Ah-Kiong has been out for a while now... he goes home in March. He's from Hawaii. We're getting along very well.

My new area is great we cover the Northridge and Summitview Wards. The members are great! The only two problems I'm having with the area are: EVERY ONE is freaking RICH! these houses are HUGE and everyone is so weathy... its blowing my mind. and the second thing I'm not liking about serving here is... I DON'T KNOW MY WAY AROUND!! Everything looks exactly the same... All I know is that the mountians are to the west... that's all I can tell ya.
Being a Zone Leader isn't bad but I'd rather not be one... I mean its helping me work more and harder which I really like but there are a lot of responsibilities. And with those responsibilites we don't get as much sleep... and you know me, I love my sleep. Take Yesterday for instance... we were at the church in meetings (including sacrament meeting in both wards and the rest of the block for one) from 7 in the morning until 4:30 that evening... that was a LONG time. I was having a very hard time staying awake for it.
One good thing about being a Zone Leader is that all of them have cars.. and we got a brand new one. A 2011 Chevy Malibu... its nice; and can drive very smooth... I LIKE IT.
Oh yeah! so the transfer train ride was interesting.. we met in Rifle and drove to Grand Junction. And then once the transfer meeting in Grand Junction was done they handed me a set of keys and said I was going to be driving a car back to Denver because the Church was going to sell it. (the church sells the missionary cars once they hit about 50,000 miles. So I was a little hesitant about it because we had to drive through the mountains of Vail, Aspen, and all the other BIG RITZY ski resort towns and there was snow up there.. but that was okay with it... I just followed the truck and trailer. What they didn't tell me was the ACTUAL reason they were selling the car. Something was wrong with the breaks! Every time I pressed on the breaks they would bounce and that made the whole car shake. It was scary in some parts but I just slowed down and took my time and prayed... a lot. but we made it safely and nothing went wrong.
We live in the basment, which is like its own apartment with two other missionaries. Elder Allen (from my MTC district) and his companion Elder Fischer, he's from Chile and he's funny! I like living with other missionaries... it gives you someone else to talk to and get to know.

I'm glad Sister Field was able to talk to you. I've only met them the one time I was at their house and then briefly at church. They seem like very nice people. That's so nice of them that they are willing to bring back a package.

The only difference about being a Zone Leader is that you have to get numbers from each district leader in your Zone and then report those to the APs (the Assistants to the President) and then once a week discuss with all the other Zone Leaders and the President on a confrence call about how we can help each area improve where they need to improve. Also as a ZL you have to set a good example to other missionaries, and if any missionaries are acting out or causing problems or not following the mission rules you have to straighten them out... ( I couldnt' think of another way of saying that but basically thats it) so that is one reason why I don't want to be a Zone Leader, because they have to help missionaries get back on tract and they can carry a bad reputation. But I hope I can be a fun ZL and still help them want to follow the rules.

So on Thanksgiving we've got two "Turkey Bowls" we're playing at (football games.. with the wards) and then spend the rest of the day visiting family that said we could come by... so we'll end up eating at like four or five houses... I'll be so stuffed, it'll be great!

Before I forget my new address is:
10286 Willowbridge Ct.
Highlands Ranch, CO 80126

Thanks for everything! I love you all! Please take care!

Your Son,

--
-Elder Cameron Landon

No comments:

Post a Comment